You are here: Home Forums

Find Your God Forums

for those who grew up in "christian" homes

This is the place for the absolute nonsense all forums produce from time to time. If you know know its pure jibbering, please post it here. Or, if we notice, then we may move it here for you.

for those who grew up in "christian" homes

Postby flibbertygibbit » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:38 am

do any of you remember "psalty the singing songbook" and the "its time for sleepytime" song he used to sing? i just found our old tapes of that today and it made me feel nostalgic. just wondering if anyone else used to listen to those.
nadie recuerda los olvidados, pero hago. los olvidados serán recordados.

retarded emus training in radioactive environments may eat nourishing towels.

Leadership isn't about firing bullets and stabbing people; Leadership is about being able to tell others to fire bullets and stab people.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax,
Of cabbages and kings.
And why the sea is boiling hot.
And whether pigs have wings."

-Lewis Carroll,
   Through the Looking Glass

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby ZBsmaster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 am

Yeah, and they freaked me out, growing up.
ZBsmaster
Jacobsmaster

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 am

No. But I remember patch the pirate, uncle charlie, and ranger bill. (ranger bill is still my favorite)
Going to church doesn't make you any more a Christian than going to the garage makes you a car.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby Clint_johnston23 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:45 am

RANGER ... BILL, Warrior of the woodlands!

I still get a chuckle when I think of Grey Horse.

Mom objected to Patch the Pirate until I was too old for him.  Pirates are evil, you see, as they are technically only thieves on boats.  I couldn't have the pirate legos either.

I never liked Uncle Charlie that much.  Too much baptist indoctrination inserted in it.  Or at least blatant ignorance of Grey areas that annoyed me mightily.

Now, I had AIO and Donut Man, but one of my favorites is still Jungle Jam, which was done by WorldVision.  Really good stuff, it had some AIO writers.  They quit after three albums.  Another good show, which I'm unsure about how it's doing, as our now completely denominational (it used to be wide open, as my old pastor was running it) radio station cut it off, is The Pond.  I think it was online at lifeatthepond.org, but I'm not sure.  funny show.

Back to original topic.  Never liked Psalty.  Oh I mean the music was amusing enough, but I could never get over the idea of a giant talking book.  Books were for reading, not talking.
Clint Johnston Image
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller My Namesake

You're signature was bothering steph. Thus, it has been removed.
-Chad, the wonderful power abusing admin who only did this to satisfy Steph's desires for his heart.
Clint_johnston23
Likes better music than you

Postby flibbertygibbit » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:45 pm

jungle jam! that was also amazing. i always wanted to go to razzle flabbin island, or alternativly, know what exactly razzles and flabbins were.

i was sad when they got rid of ranger bill

Leadership isn't about firing bullets and stabbing people; Leadership is about being able to tell others to fire bullets and stab people.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages and kings.

-Lewis Carroll,

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 pm

I still get a chuckle when I think of Grey Horse.

Don't you mean grey wolf?

Now, I had AIO and Donut Man, but one of my favorites is still Jungle Jam, which was done by WorldVision.  Really good stuff, it had some AIO writers.  They quit after three albums.  Another good show, which I'm unsure about how it's doing, as our now completely denominational (it used to be wide open, as my old pastor was running it) radio station cut it off, is The Pond.  I think it was online at lifeatthepond.org, but I'm not sure.  funny show.

AIO was, and still is the bomb! Seriously, I think everyone in my family still crowds around the radio to listen to AIO. But, its just not the same. In the 'olden days' when they did shows about Wit in the military and stuff. Those were so much more entertaining.

Jungle Jam is still around up here, but they are mostly re-runs. Which are okay, but I'd like to hear something new every now and then.

i was sad when they got rid of ranger bill

Me to! I rated Ranger Bill #1, and AIO #2. By the way, there was a Ranger Bill Fan Club that I was able to download like 40 episodes from. But it has since closed access to downloads because the original company is selling the shows on CD now. So, they were in for copyright crap and stuff. But I think I still have most of the episodes I downloaded. I even have some recorded on tape.
Going to church doesn't make you any more a Christian than going to the garage makes you a car.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby Clint_johnston23 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Don't you mean grey wolf?

It's been a while.

And while I enjoyed Ranger Bill, AIO was definitely #1.

Jungle Jam is all re-runs.  They folded for lack of cash.  I know because the aforementioned lame radio station hadn't bothered to save any of their master copies, and thus had to do some fast thinking when Jungle Jam disappeared.  We got Children's Bible hour instead.  LAME.

I haven't listened to AIO since the very tail end of the "Eugene rats on the weird people who are building a tower on Tom Riley's farm, and has to leave odyssey" saga.  I was pleased to hear he was back, but I don't have any continuity now.
Clint Johnston Image
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller My Namesake

-Chad, the wonderful power abusing admin who only did this to satisfy Steph's desires for his heart.
Clint_johnston23

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 pm

I haven't heard it all week, but right now their doing shows all about Bernard Walton. (the window washer guy).

Back to Ranger Bill: I read on the fan club website that the guy who played Bill also played Stumpy, and about 5 other random voices on the show.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby Clint_johnston23 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm not surprised.  half the time the guy bill was saving had the same voice.  I bet he was Frenchy Lasalle too.  Incidentally, how does one have a french canadian logger stereotype from old westerns in your contemporary radio drama?
Clint Johnston Image

Clint_johnston23

Postby beachbabe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Psalty, yeah! That did freak me out. I found a coloring book of it in my uncle's living room and I didn't know what the heck it was. Lol.
Then I saw the video later and I figured it out.

Patch the Pirate...wow. Steph (PanicButton) and I heard those all the time in elementary school.
"Basically, FYG's here to promote sex, drugs, illegal music...oh yeah, and God."
beachbabe
Beachbabe

Postby flibbertygibbit » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 pm

the only thing i know psalty from is our sleepy time cassettes we have and used to listen to before we go to bed. we were playing it for my nephew (hes two) last night and it brought me back.

"its time for sleepy time, its time to rest your head, to snuggle up and get, cozy in your bed. to dream of happy things of how much God loves you cause your his special child, its sleepy tiiiiime"

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages and kings.

-Lewis Carroll,

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby PippinTook » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:39 pm

I watched (or listened to) Psalty, Donut Man, Jungle Jam, The Pond, Adventures in Odyssey, and....I think that's it...
Pippin

Hey unfaithful, I will teach you to be stronger. Hey, ungraceful, I will teach you to forgive one another. Hey unloving, I will love you.
PippinTook
Resident Hobbit

Location: Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea, but I don't.

Postby Cheerwine » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 pm

Adventure In Odyssey is so far the only thing I recognize in this thread.

I was/am a Vegetales person myself. I was obsessed. We had every episode but stopped gettin' 'em when I got to aroudn 10/11. I still wanna ago see that movie though...
Cheerwine
this is not a donut

Postby Chad » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:07 am

Dude! I remember the donut man!

Okay, who 'remembers' that guy Frank Peretti!? He does those wacky kid tv shows.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby Cheerwine » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:08 am

I don't remember him doing any shows, but he's a freakin' awesome author.
Cheerwine
this is not a donut

Postby JudeBurger » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 am

i remember he wrote some interesting books, which were cool when i was 12, but i'm sure would be pretty campy now.
JudeBurger
Has a really big hat.

Postby Cheerwine » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:10 am

I still love Hangman's Curse and Nightmare Academy.
Cheerwine
this is not a donut

Postby Clint_johnston23 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:11 am

I remember reading his stuff.  Never watched his kids shows.  I liked his books until he took a jump off the creepy horror board.
Clint Johnston Image

Clint_johnston23

Postby gn0sis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:53 am

I know more about the Bible from AIO and AWANA than anything I ever learned in church. I think there's still a "Psalty" kid's sing-along hymnal in the piano bench. It hasn't been touched in at least a decade. Maybe it was thrown out. But I remember the Psalty book where he bakes something and makes a huge mess.

I loved AIO. I really did. It grew progressively worse and tried too hard as times went on and it shifted away from its original purpose to teach the Bible and started teaching more "virtues" and becoming entertainment. I haven't listened to it in years, but I have always enjoyed audio drama and audio literature. I may not be a Christian, but I still think AIO was/is pretty cool
I've been told my posts are too long; on the contrary, your attention span is just too short.
gn0sis
Patrician

Location: Chilling with the tryptamine elves in the shade of a giant mushroom

Postby StoneMe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:00 am

I LOVED AIO.

Tamara
How much are you getting paid to babysit that blunt?
StoneMe
Most Experienced Member

Postby ZBsmaster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:22 pm

I listened to it more on tapes, than the radio.
ZBsmaster
Jacobsmaster

Postby gn0sis » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Yeah, same.
I've been told my posts are too long; on the contrary, your attention span is just too short.
gn0sis
Patrician

Location: Chilling with the tryptamine elves in the shade of a giant mushroom

Postby Cheerwine » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:27 pm

Ditto.
Cheerwine
this is not a donut

Postby PippinTook » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 am

My mom still listens to it on the radio occasionally. I bought the computer game and all the tapes when I was little :).
Pippin

Hey unfaithful, I will teach you to be stronger. Hey, ungraceful, I will teach you to forgive one another. Hey unloving, I will love you.
PippinTook
Resident Hobbit

Postby MsIndianaJones7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm

I listen to AIO at least every day.

I can't BELIEVE other people listened to Psalty and Ranger Bill and Uncle Charlie...
MsIndianaJones7
Patrician

Postby Chad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 pm

I never listened to Psalty. But the rest of them I still hear regularly.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby beachbabe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 am

I just was freaked by Psalty. I mean, a live...hymn book? I was always scared. Lol.  :redface:

Now AIO was straight up awesome. I still like those.
"Basically, FYG's here to promote sex, drugs, illegal music...oh yeah, and God."
beachbabe
Beachbabe

Postby PippinTook » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Oooh I forgot about Uncle Charlie! Didn't he die?
Pippin

PippinTook
Resident Hobbit

Postby flibbertygibbit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 pm

what was uncle charlie?

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages and kings.

-Lewis Carroll,

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby PippinTook » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Keys for Kids! It was like a devo thing for little kids, a mini Our Daily Bread if you will. Normally about some little kid screwing up and having a sage for a parent telling them why what they did was wrong.
Pippin

PippinTook
Resident Hobbit

Postby flibbertygibbit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 pm

OH, keys for kids, i remember listening to that. that was horrible. they got rid of that at our radio station and got down gilliad lane, which is better. but they also got rid of ranger bill (which was amazing) and got a crappy new show about animals. stupid radio execs.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages and kings.

-Lewis Carroll,

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:57 pm

[quopte]OH, keys for kids, i remember listening to that. that was horrible. they got rid of that at our radio station and got down gilliad lane, which is better. but they also got rid of ranger bill (which was amazing) and got a crappy new show about animals. stupid radio execs.[/quote]

Our station still has Keys For Kids (Uncle Charlie), but we also have Down Gilliad lane, the Pond, and some other really retarded shows.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby PippinTook » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:05 pm

I LOVE THE POND YOU HEATHEN DOG!
I also like Jungle Jam and...I remember Ranger Bill!
Pippin

PippinTook
Resident Hobbit

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Lol. I bought Matt & Jenny (younger brother and sister for those who don't know) a 'The Pond' DVD for Christmas. Its lame.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby PippinTook » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:29 pm

Hey you know what? SHUT UP. :-D
Pippin

PippinTook
Resident Hobbit

Postby ZBsmaster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:08 am

"We'll have an adventure, and several long trips. We'll make some new friends, and maybe get a bite to eat"
ZBsmaster
Jacobsmaster

Postby Adon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:45 am

Is it weird that I don't know any of these?

...all I watched was Donut Man, and then VeggieTales once I was a bit older.

But oh...Prayer Bear for the mother freaking win!
"In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men."

- Simone de Beauvoir
Adon
Patrician

Postby ZBsmaster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:01 am

Is that like Pedobear?
ZBsmaster
Jacobsmaster

Postby Adon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:05 am

It was. :D
"In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men."

- Simone de Beauvoir
Adon
Patrician

Postby tatty000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 am

Adon wrote:Is it weird that I don't know any of these?

No. I have no clue whatsoever what these are.

What I remember from Sunday school, though, is Vegie Tales, the song 'Father Abraham' and a couple of Bible Man videos. He was sooo dreamy...
tatty000
Citizen

Postby ZBsmaster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:10 am

SuperBook>All.
ZBsmaster
Jacobsmaster

Postby flibbertygibbit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 pm

ZBsmaster wrote:"We'll have an adventure, and several long trips. We'll make some new friends, and maybe get a bite to eat"

what do you know haddiman

you. seriously. are amazing.

you get 3 quadrillion points for this.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages and kings.

-Lewis Carroll,

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby Chad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:43 pm

Okay. Who remembered David & Golliath? The Methodist Church produced that tv show.

Chad
Site Admin

Postby flibbertygibbit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:58 pm

actually it was the lutheran church, and its called davey and goliath, they're horrible. we have two dvds of the shows they made. but when i was little they were amazing. it seems like stuff gets less cool than when you remember it being when you were little. :'(

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages and kings.

-Lewis Carroll,

flibbertygibbit
"eccentrically" original

Postby Clint_johnston23 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:17 pm

Paws and Tails would be the animal show, I reckon.  Horrible horrible horrible.  Down Gilead Lane was interesting enough, but made stupid gigantic leaps in logic too many times for me to stomach.  And Keys for kids was always too puchy for my taste.  "When you are mean to Billy, God cries"  You mean to honestly tell me that when I finally stand up for myself against the bully, Jesus is upset with me?  Puhlease.

I loved the Pond Radio show.  Christians should stay out of movie making for the most part in my opinion.  Even Odyssey movies sucked.
Clint Johnston Image

Clint_johnston23

Next

Return to Martian Mallows